|Who We Are
St. Matthew’s United Church of Christ began as a Union Church composed of people of predominately German background. These members came from the Reformed and Lutheran tradition and worshipped in what is now St. Matthias Lutheran Church in Carlisle Springs.
On February 2, 1958 the union with St. Matthias Lutheran congregation was dissolved and the 71 member Reformed Congregation, now called the United Church of Christ because of their merger with the Congregational Church, began holding worship services in the basement of H.R. Gutshall & Sons Implement Store. In December 1958 the new sanctuary was dedicated. The dedication reads:
Carlisle Springs 1870
“With firm faith in God and a desire on our part to serve our community and our Lord we have built this building and dedicate it to this purpose. We shall strive to have it grow in size and the congregation grow in numbers; but of more importance, we shall strive to make this church grow in the nurture and admonition of our Lord, Jesus Christ.”
Since that time, an educational addition has been added along with an elevator and improved bathroom facilities. We completed a pavilion for outdoor worship and activities in 2008. Our church is fully accessible to the physically disabled.
We have dedicated ourselves to be God’s people in the community in which we are located and in the world around us. As our slogan states, we are “A Reservoir of Faith in the Springs.”